Monday, July 16, 2012

Martha’s Vineyard

MVTITLE

Before the dust settles on my tiny corner of the internet, I thought I would share a few photos and impressions from our stay in Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts.  My in-laws offered to look after the girls for a long weekend so my husband and I had a little getaway.

We flew to Boston and caught a connection to Martha’s Vineyard on Cape Air - which was an experience. We flew on a Cessna (a first for me).  I sat in the cock pit next to the pilot. My husband was in the second row (celebrity sighting next to Chris Wallace of Fox News and the son of the late Mike Wallace). 

Each passenger must disclose their body weight and each piece of luggage must be weighed to ensure proper weight allocation throughout the aircraft. Luggage is stored in the aircraft nose and wings.

IMG_0111

Martha’s Vineyard is composed of six townships.  We stayed at a B&B in Vineyard Haven at a B&B which was quite lovely and the breakfast was yummy (croissant French toast pictured).

IMG_0378

IMG_0115IMG_0398

One night, we dined at the famous Black Dog  (it was a given as we have a black lab).

IMG_0117

If you are not a dog person, you may not like Martha’s Vineyard (dogs ride the buses, ferries, and generally are sitting out side most establishments).  As for other fauna, I had never seen wild turkeys before. Wild turkeys are found throughout the island. Their feathers are striking.WildturkiesIMG_0399

The hydrangeas on the Cape and the islands are generally blue and purple.  While not impossible,  it is difficult to consistently achieve these colourings in Toronto soil conditions, so I was a little envious.

Hydrangeas

The B&B had bikes for the guests to borrow so we were able to take them out and explore the island by bike and bus.  The bus system is reliable and economical. Three bikes can fit on the front of the bus and it is an affordable way to explore the various towns.  Each township has a different feeling.

IMG_0188

We travelled by bus and bike to Acquinnah which is located on the island’s south west and saw the famous clay cliffs and Gay’s Head lighthouse (built in 1799, still functioning, and one of the island’s five lighthouses). The cliffs suffer from erosion and their situation is carefully monitored.   The guide at the lighthouse museum predicts the lighthouse will have to be moved again in about 20 years.

IMG_0146IMG_0149

IMG_0157

I had a chance to take a dip in the Atlantic Ocean at the public beach.

IMG_0171IMG_0179

After a swim, we cycled to Menemsha in the township of Chilmark. This journey  involved an interesting bike ferry.  

IMG_0184

Menemsha is a quaint fishing port and I understand that some of the scenes from the film Jaws were filmed in this little town.  There is plenty of fresh seafood to enjoy and the fish monger supplies restaurants throughout the island.  I enjoyed Vineyard Striped Bass as the fishing season had just begun (yummy).

IMG_0186

IMG_0332

The island’s earliest settlement is on the south west  of the island, Edgartown (c. 1642) which started as a whaling community.  There are grand examples of Federal and Greek Revival style architecture which are not really found in other parts of the island.

IMG_0244

IMG_0255

Edgartown seemed to have a large shopping area featuring  preppy boutiques, very Lily Pulitzer.

IMG_0250IMG_0251

IMG_0249

IMG_0248

After exploring the main street of Edgartown, we headed to its popular public beach (South Beach).  I took another dip to cool off (photo of the beach, not me).IMG_0266

This post has become a wee bit photo heavy, so I will post separately about the town of Oak Bluffs which has some very special architecture. 

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

signature

11 comments:

  1. Is the stroller parking for real? I've never seen anything like that! And that looked like a lovely getaway! Hope you came back rejuvenated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thrilled for you and your hubby. What a romantic get-away. The pictures are just dreamy. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that soil conditions affect hydrangeas, learn something new everyday (we have some in blues/purples in our front yard)
    Looks like such a nice getaway ~ I hope it wasn't too hot, we've been having super hot temperatures this summer in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh! I've always wanted to go to nantucket island. just dont think I could handle that little plane ride! Looks like you had a lovely time. beautiful pictures!
    I'll be back to see the rest!
    xo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos!! Looks like a very relaxing and enjoyable time. Can't wait to see the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the photos. It looks like a lovely little trip. I'm trying to picture my own husband in those sailboat shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW what fabulous pictures! I feel like I was there! Thank you so much for sharing this with us -- it was a pure delight! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW what fabulous pictures! I feel like I was there! Thank you so much for sharing this with us -- it was a pure delight! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW what fabulous pictures! I feel like I was there! Thank you so much for sharing this with us -- it was a pure delight! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I don't know where to begin! Let me start by saying how much I have enjoyed the whole post - the pictures really tell a thousand words. Starting from the Cessna ride thru to the lovely cottages and the wonderful nature.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful adventure with us! My heart is still stuck with the Edgartown's houses!
    Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome pictures! Just a little reminder of all the greats sights I can find when I visit my favorite Marthas Vineyard rentals. I really hope to get back again before the summer ends

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear what you think!